Red Lodge Museum, Bristol – Re-Decorations
Architect: Bristol City Council In House
Programme: 6 weeks
Scope of Work: External decorations of wood and metal works.
Red Lodge is a historic Elizabethan Grade 1 Listed house in the historic centre of Bristol, the original part of which was built in 1528, as a lodge house to the Great House (now Colston Hall).
The elevations are of handmade red brick and limestone quoins, and limestone feature detailing around fenestration and entrances under slate tiled roofs.
Amongst the many owners and improvements made to the building, were those made by the Henleys, who in 1730 built an extension to the north side, rebuilding the roofs with hips and eaves, and replacing the windows.
It was at this time that the dentilled cornices were introduced. These formed part of the recent re- decoration programme, together with the timber sash windows and cast iron rainwater goods.